Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Frustration

After trying to get Mariah evaluated by the school system here for over a month to no avail despite help from several people, we finally sent a certified letter requesting an evaluation because we were told that sending a letter was the "proof" to get someone to do what we were asking.

We sent the letter last week.

I got a call today to schedule a Child Study Meeting. At 7:30am.

Yep 7:30am is the ONLY time they have available within the next 10 days, which is apparently the time limit they have to do the meeting.

Well guess who is going to have to take a 2, 4, and 5 year old into a Child Study Meeting by herself. Yep. ME.

Wes's preschool doesn't start until 9am so I can't even go one kid down. The kids don't even get up until around 8 most mornings especially since the time change.

I feel screwed. I've tried and tried all this time and now I'm stuck with this. There is no way I can get 3 kids to wake up early, eat breakfast, get dressed, and get Katya's stretching done and AFOs on, and show up at a meeting at the school by 7:30am without someone having a major meltdown. (Probably ME)

You know that saying, "Be careful what you wish for?" That's what I'm feeling. I asked for this so I guess I'll just take my bedraggled kids and self in there and see what happens.

This is the part where I wish I could clone myself so one of me could stay home in bed with 2 sleeping boys while the other me gets up and has time to nicely dress herself and Mariah, eat breakfast, and calmly drive to a meeting where I can concentrate on the ONE child that is being evaluated instead of the two that are cranky and will not sit still and be quiet for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm sorry :( I know how those go, and I hate the "this is the only time available" statements. I will say, though, that it is THEM that has 10 days, not YOU. So if you say I'm sorry, I'm not available on that day at 7:30 am, and I really cannot be anywhere before 8:30 on a regular day, then see what they have "become available" since THEY have to do the eval in 10 days. Bend a LITTLE... say you'd be willing to wait another 2 or 3 days if that means being able to do the eval when you can make it. Also, stress that if they're evaluating her, that there is no way she'll be ready to be 'tested' before she's even used to waking. Though you know when school starts, she'll have to change her schedule, doing so right now for the purpose of testing her is not going to help the testing process. Hang in there!!

Mama of 3 said...

I did ask for something at a little later date so I could get a different time. They refused. I've only been asking for an evaluation for oh... like since we came home. Evidentially the certified letter really is the "Golden Ticket" to the 10 day promise.

This appointment is before school starts. IF she goes, she still won't have to be up this early.
I keep waiting to get a helpful person with the next phone call... haha.

Ellen Stumbo said...

It is frustrating, very frustrating! But it is clear that the time they have scheduled does not work for you, and that is your response in writing, do you have an e-mail? You don't need to give them explanations, a simple, that time will not work is all that is sufficient. If that is their only time available, that stinks for them! Realistically, they want to evaluate a child at a time when she is usually not even awake? I don't think so!
Tell them to give you a couple of options after 9:00 am and you will get back to them immediately with what works best for your family. Again, try to do all of this in writing.
And because you have a little bit of time, get your hands on the book, "Wright's Law: From Emotions to Advocacy" 2nd edition.
They are the ones that have 10 days, you can always tell them you can do this any time in the next 2 weeks, that gives them 14 instead of 10 ;)



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017