Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Impossible, Difficult, Done

I have never passed a more anxious or trying month in my life, but I never felt God so present with me. -- Hudson Taylor

Ah, yes that is exactly how I felt during the month we spent in Ukraine. To really be stripped of everything you know and love and find yourself on your knees for every little thing is to really trust God. I don't miss only being able to talk to my boys via skype when I wanted to hold them, or having to take a shower without a shower curtain or trying to fry eggs with a fork (yeah no spatula) or spending a week in an apartment in Kharkiv wondering WHY the papers we desperately need signed are not being signed; but I do miss that closeness I felt to God. Knowing that every little victory we had was a direct touch from Him.

The day we had court I was so nervous that all I could do was just sit in a chair and pray. The prosecutor didn't show up on time. The case in front of us wasn't on time. We sat and sat in a courthouse feeling completely and totally out of place. Americans waiting to adopt a Ukrainian child in Ukraine. We got some looks while we sat there and waited.

The actual court hearing was very informal. We were asked to verify our names and other information, why we wanted to adopt Katya and how we could provide for her. They asked why we wanted a third child when we had two? We said that we felt we had been blessed with a wonderful life and we wanted to share that with a child who didn't have a family. We told the judge that we fell in love with Katya's spirit and determination. The orphanage inspector told the judge that Katya asked us, "Are you here to take me home?" when she came in to meet us. Hearing her say that made tears come to my eyes.

The judge was a very nice man. He didn't give us a hard time. He declared us Katya's parents and that was that.

However, it doesn't always go like that. Special needs children are seen as a detrimental to society in Eastern Europe. A family who was hoping to be declared parents of a little boy with Down Syndrome in Russia, was denied the right to be his parents. Why? Because he has Down Syndrome and the judge thinks he belongs in an institution NOT a family. That family is appealing the decision to Russia's Supreme Court.

Tomorrow they are asking people all over the country (and world!) to fast and pray for them and their little boy, Kirill. I have never fasted before but I am tomorrow because I have been in a court room, faced a judge, and had a happy outcome. Katya deserved a family and Kirill does too.

Won't you join me?


Click here to read more about Kirill and his family

Click here to read Kirill's family's blog

If you're on twitter, go follow @ReecesRainbow. For every person who becomes a follower,@PatriciaHeaton will donate $1 up to $10,000 to Reeces Rainbow. Use #SaveKirill in your tweets!


I have found that there are three stages in every great work of God: first, it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done. -- Hudson Taylor

No comments:



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017