Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Friday

On Friday Mariah has several appointments at Kluge Children's Rehab Center to more fully evaluate her CP. For some reason they want us to be 30 minutes early which will amount to me having to be on the road by 7:30am. Hah - Like doctors are ever on time much less early!

I have to take Wyatt along with Mariah and I for this full morning of evaluations so I'm hoping that he is really good, but doubting he will be since he is a COMPLETE BEAR when he has to get up early in the morning. I'm hoping for a good day and productive appointments... really I am. Early mornings are just not our thing (yet we always seem to end up with early morning appointments lol) and I've got to drop Wes off at a friend's house before I can get going on the road to Kluges. (yes I'm done whining now)

I've done some research on serial casting for kids who have CP and I'm hoping to ask some questions about that and botox because we've seen such improvement with Mariah that I think we really should try to work on stretching her heel cords and hamstrings out NOW to improve her gait. I suspect she has some orthopedic issues with her left ankle and possibly knee as well. The ankle just doesn't look quite right and I don't think she ever did enough weight bearing for it to be rickets. We shall see...

I'm also hoping to get a prescription for PT so we can start with a therapist. We finally had a stretching session today in which Mariah did not cry, fuss, scream, thrash, try to scratch herself, or push me away. She FINALLY seems to understand that she can just tell me when it hurts and where we need to hold the stretch. I think she actually understands now that we stretch so she can walk better. I realize we'll probably take 2 steps back from here, but the fact that we got here at all feels pretty darn good.

We've also put her back in underwear and started to try potty training again. She was potty trained when we met her, but once we came home she would ask to go pee every ten minutes only to wet herself 5 minutes later and just do very random things that completely baffled us so we regressed her into diapers for a while but we're back in the training pants now. I can't say I'm thrilled with how its going, however she does understand that she should not pee in her pants, but in the potty; and she HATES to wear wet pants around... so at some point this too shall pass. I'm trying to coax Wyatt into giving up the diapers as well but he insists that he LIKES to poop in his pants and he LIKES to be wet.

Uh huh.

I also tried teaching Mariah the letter "A" today. Wow - she just didn't get it at all. I know we traced "Up down across" like 100 times. I hold her hand and say like this "Up down across about 10 times in a row. Now you do it." She has NO clue. Absolutely no clue what I am asking her to do. She repeats, "Up down across" yet just scribbles a little instead of making (or even attempting) an "A." Even Wyatt attempted the A and I haven't worked on letters with him before either. I was a little baffled at how she had no clue what we were doing. She is bright... but obviously had no exposure to working with writing letters (even Cryllic) or numbers or even coloring a picture. Really her hand eye coordination with a pen is about what you'd expect a 12 month old to have. She just scribbles. I've noticed she does some odd positioning when she tries to color or play with things on the floor. She lays her head down next to what she's playing with. I can't tell if its an eye issues because this is the same girl who spots fries in the freezer from 20 feet away at Food Lion, or if its just easier for her to sit that way. In any case, we'll be going to the opthamologist soon.

So that's the way things are around here!

4 comments:

Winnie said...

Sounds like an OT issue to me. How does she do with her other fine motor? Can she handle legos well, fork and spoon, play playdough etc? I would start with coloring in the lines etc before actually trying to write. There's a lot of fine motor to develop before writing. Also check in Wal-Mart for pre-school workbooks, you'll see they have some stuff called pre-writing etc in them. My guess is she needs to develop the pre-write before moving on to harder things. Does the CP affect her hands and arms at all? Could it be some of that? Also they don't start any school until age 7 so I don't think any emphasis is ever placed on coloring etc especially in the baby houses. Can you imagine 15 kids loose with crayons? Ha!

Mama of 3 said...

She had a hard time with utensils at first... its better now but still very toddlerish. She only smashes playdoh or pokes it. I'm thinking the same thing you said. She hasn't had a chance to develop her fine motor skills yet. And yes, the CP does affect her right arm a little bit but she does very well with dressing herself, washing her hands and face things like that. Coloring... she mostly scribbles but has recently started to draw circles. She had no idea what to do with a marker and a piece of paper the first time we showed it to her. We have lots of preschool stuff here and she likes watching learning shows and can count pretty well now. Unfortunately, we can't have her evaluated for OT or PT untill after the school does her other cognitive testing.

Melissa said...

Hi, I think we met at Kluge yesterday. We also adopted from Ukraine and our daughter is from Krivoy Rog. I was really excited to meet another mom of a child with special needs from Ukraine but I didn't want to miss any part of Liza's appointment and ran off when we were called. I felt bad about that later :) Anyway, I wanted you to know I was glad to meet you and maybe we'll run into each other there again. Or look me up on FB if you'd like: Melissa Price Lorenz. (someone on Reece's Rainbow pointed me to your blog, sorry to be all stalkerish on ya....lol)

Becky said...

Hi! We adopted our daughter from U in October 2010 and she has CP as well. We DID do one round of casting on her ankles because they were so tight with little movement. After one round she has much more movement and we can actually stretch her ankles now whereas before they hardly moved. It was very much worth it.
Its nice to 'meet' you, its always nice to follow other families who are following the same journey. :)



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017