Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Monday, June 20, 2011

Consular Registration - The Frustration!!

Hello,


Unfortunately, I can't send the damaged passport back to you. We have the legislation that requires this passport to be send to Ukraine (to the authority where it was issued) for further destroying.


We mailed Mariah's registration documents (all of the documents they requested in the form they requested them on the form provided in Ukraine) in January.

We didn't hear anything until March when they called asking us for her original court decree, which I begrudingly sent because I wondered if I'd ever get it back.

I heard nothing for a month so I tried to call them...about 20 times. I emailed the consular office multiple times and never heard a peep.

Finally someone gave me the personal phone number of a lady who worked in the consular office. I called and left her a message asking why my documents had not been returned (Mariah's original passport and court decree).

She called me back and told me that they could not register Mariah because her passport was damaged. Yep, well I washed it by accident because it was left in Phillip's pants pocket. It wasn't bad at all and I sent a note with it asking them to call if it was a problem IN JANUARY.

So in typical EE fashion I was told that for the price of $15 she could be issued a new passport in 2-3 weeks. For $30 she could have it in 2 days. It had to be a money order as well. No cash, no checks. I sent them a $15 money order and a new passport photo.

Today I finally got her registration documents and the new passport, but NOT the original passport that was issued in Kharkov. Ya know the one with the sentimental value? The one with the U.S. visa? Yeah that one. So I emailed the woman about it and what she told me is quoted above and is just laughable. I mean really... what else can I do but laugh? Who sits around and thinks up those things? I just wanted my daughter's passport to keep as a momento and now its gone.

Oh and the best part is that they are now requesting a copy of her birth certificate! Yes, I sent that along with the rest of the stuff in January. No, I am not sending it again.

I know that adoptive parents have caused problems by not registering their children and not completeing the yearly reports, but THIS might be why. For one thing, if I had not gone above and beyond the call of duty to find out why Mariah was not registered, she still would not be. It wasn't our fault though. I sent the documents in the form they requested but they never did anything with them.

Has anyone else had this problem? I just wonder why if they want to make sure that the children are registered that they would make it so nearly impossible to do so. I am really frustrated with how this whole registration process went because I know if people do not register their adoptive children, Ukraine may decide to close international adoptions so it was something I really wanted to do, and do right!

3 comments:

The McEacherns said...

Our consular registrations have been super-simple and quick. (about a month turnaround time) Sorry yours was problematic!

Winnie said...

Ours was simple as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with the office you deal with, different parts of the country register at different offices - mine is in Chicago, had no issues.

Mama of 3 said...

Ours was in D.C. Evidentially its a trouble spot or I never would have found someone who gave me the direct line to the lady who finally got Mariah registered. I'm scared to send the yearly reports now because I worry they will lose it and think I never sent it! I wonder if I can send it to a different location?



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017