Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Friday, August 16, 2013

See You Soon

Goodbye sucks.

I was the coordinator for airport arrival and departures at my location for our host group.  This is the third time I've had to say goodbye to a child I love.

This was by far the hardest time for me, and the most emotional goodbye I've seen from an entire group.  The sobbing could be heard as we went down the escalators to security.  Do you know what its like to walk with a group of orphans who are crying because they just had to say goodbye to probably the only people in their life who truly care for them?  It.is.HARD.     

Its super hard for me because while my heart is breaking, I can't just stand there and lose it.  I have to make sure everyone is accounted for, and several were late which sends me into a freakout mode wondering if they forgot or if they decided not to return their kids (and I'm only half joking.)  I had to make sure everyone got checked in.  Another host mom and I negotiated gate passes so we could help the chaperone and the kids through security and make sure they got to their gate.  First we were told no.  Then another guy agreed because he was hosting two kids himself. (wow!)

(Another host mom totally rocked with helping get kids checked in and seated together.)

The airline boarded our entire group of kids first so I was once again able to watch D board the plane.  The last images are always imprinted on my mind.  I remember V in line at JFK.  He stood there looking so sad, turning to waive every few seconds until he was out of my sight.

V boarded the plane with the group while D was the last to board after Christmas hosting, finally giving me a hug for the first time.  D told me this summer that V got on the plane and sobbed.

This time, I got lots of hugs at the airport and as he walked through the door to the plane, he turned around and poked his head back out to say goodbye again.  I just stood there and cried.  Nose running, tears, no tissue.  I had run off and left my iced tea at Starbucks because they started boarding the kids way sooner than I anticipated and I had to run to say goodbye.  I went back up there red faced and grabbed a stack of napkins.    

This time hurt.  Bad.     

  
The last thing I said as he boarded the plane was, "I will come get you. Wait for me."

We are still anxiously awaiting a travel date.



I came home and cried again.
Then got up and cried again.
Then again.  
I found his clothes in the laundry and cried.
Cry cry cry.  

1 comment:

Carolina said...

Just reading made me cry :(
Fear not, soon they'll be yours forever:)



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017