Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday E



This was E last year on his 7th birthday.
I paid $80 to have a cake delivered to his orphanage and a photo taken.
I cried.  A child should have more, but this was all I could do.
A promise that he wasn't forgotten and I would be there soon.
Last year I knew that we wouldn't be in Ukraine for another 4 months.
That seemed like eternity...



This was E at his party today.




Its not like I haven't dealt with the emotions of a child that I didn't give birth to having a birthday, but E's birthday just hurts my heart so deeply.  From the first time I met him and he put his little hand in mine, I felt like he had always been a part of me.  It was like walking into a room and meeting the child you didn't know you had.  The first time I met him at the orphanage, he took my hand and asked me to come see his room where he slept.  We walked out into the hallway and a nanny saw us.  She looked at me, and then him and said, "Vladik is this your mama??"  He said, "Yes.  My mama is so pretty."  With this big goofy grin on his face, like he'd won the lottery and didn't even know how to spend the money.  The emotions of what he went through in his life when I wasn't there is heartbreaking.  It kills me to think that this child who is so easy to love and who I love so much had to go so long without love.
I had a cake made to celebrate every birthday we've missed, and the one we finally got to be here for.


E chose Star Wars.  He loves Jedi Knights and Lightsabers.

  



Happy Birthday E.  
It was a long and difficult road to get to you and make you ours, but we did it. 
You are finally ours.
There will be no more uncelebrated birthdays. 
We will always be here and we couldn't love you more.

4 comments:

burckeri said...

Wishing E a very happy birthday! The picture of his cake made me cry.

Emily said...

That cake! Oh my word, what a fabulous idea. I wish I had thought of that when my girls celebrated their first birthdays with us.

Carolina said...

SO SWEET! And what a great cake.
He's eight already! Wow! To think that V was seven when you met him!
Happy birthday to a happy boy.
What a difference does love make. <3

daniellem02 said...

Wow, he has grown so much in a year! He looks so happy



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017