Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Friday, July 18, 2014

Two Years Ago My Life Changed


Two years ago, I was at JFK airport in New York.  
I was a nervous wreck.  I flew up the day before with W.
We were meeting a group of orphans and bringing V home with us for the summer.
It was this crazy thing called hosting...

While we waited at arrivals for him to come out, I was panicking.
WHAT ON EARTH possessed me to host a 7 year old boy?
What if he runs off?
What if he is mean to my other kids?
What if he hates me?
What if he is terrified from his 30 hour trip?

And then this tiny boy walked out with a group of kids.
Someone told him I was his mama for the summer.
So he stood looking up at me with the most impossibly blue eyes I have ever seen, and the rest of the world stopped.  I couldn't tell you what was going on around me.  I don't remember.  I just remember his tired, pale, skinny, little face looking up at me.

And then this picture happened.
Little did I know that I had just met my son.




We went to the zoo that summer.


He played in the water.


We went bowling.


We had his horrible, horrible, painful teeth removed, and filled.
I didn't realize children's teeth could be so bad.  
It absolutely broke my heart to see his teeth.


I saw a lot of this face.
He was a very naughty boy that summer.
He is STILL a naughty boy - haha!!


But he was also so sweet.



So sweet.


And crazy.


Sweet, naughty, crazy.

That's my V.

Two years ago my life changed because I met my son.  






We would say "goodbye" and "hello" and "goodbye" again before saying "hello" forever.
Our journey to finding each other had just started two years ago.


               


I don't even know what to call today, but its special to me.  
We celebrate "gotchya day" as the day we took them out of the orphanage forever, but today is our "Hello, I love you" day.





1 comment:

Milena said...

Your story is deeply touching! We host a child (that we can't adopt...) so I recognize some of those feelings! Just wishing our story would end like yours! Congratulations on your "hello, I love you-day"!!



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017