Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Friday, September 12, 2014

Finally - Birth Certificates!

We went through a lot of paperwork and social worker visits to get everything in order to file for state issued birth certificates for our Ukrainian born kids.  A lot of things require showing a child's birth certificate and its really not always pleasant to have to pull out the Ukrainian version and explain, "They're adopted.  Yes we are their REAL parents."

So, we sent in the many pages of paperwork at the beginning of July with an $80 check to register the kids as foreign born children, and then request the birth certificates.  I waited... and they didn't come.  I called.  I was told they were mailed, but obviously I didn't get them.  So they said they'd mail them again.

I waited... I called again.  Yep, they were mailed again.  I called the Post Office again.  Did you know that the Post Office isn't actually responsible for anything to do with mail?  Ever.  Just forget it.  They haven't seen it. They can't help you.  Its the fault of the person who mailed it.  People who mail documents every day always address everything wrong.

I was very concerned.  I mean, how can 4 separate pieces of mail containing my children's birth certificates (my dob, Phillip's dob, my maiden name, and my children's dob were all on each of those) with all of our info just go missing...TWICE!?

I was wondering if they were never actually mailed.

So, I ended up calling Vital Records customer services about 6 times.  I left a message for a manager.  He didn't call me back.
I called again (6th time) and got a guy with a very pronounced foreign accent.  I was happy.  I figured, now here is a guy who will understand how hard it can be to get documents when a person is born outside the U.S.  He will understand how important this is and want to help me.

Nope.  He was SO RUDE.  I could hardly get the words out of my mouth as to why I was calling when he very loudly told me that I needed to be quiet and listen to him.  I cannot request birth certificates for children born in other countries.  No way.  I need to contact the State Department about that.  So, I told him that my children have State Dept. issued Certificates of Citizenship.  Oh, well then he decided to finally look them up in the computer and see that yes, their records are there and the certificates have been mailed twice.  He then told me that he didn't care how many times I'd called or what I had dealt with, he was only worried about what I wanted today.  And today, he said, that I just needed to wait for them to come in the mail.  He refused to let me talk to his supervisor because he said I'd already left a message and I should wait up to 4 days to hear back.  I told him that my check had cleared the bank and I had not received what I had paid for.  The post office didn't have them and my address was correct in the system.  He didn't care.  So I hung up.

Then I googled the email addresses for all, yes all, of the many people at the Dept. of Vital Records.  There are a lot.  Like 30.  I selected a few departments that I felt would appreciate hearing about my wonderful experience, expressing also that my congressman would be the next to get an email.
This was Monday.

Today I received my children's birth certificates, sent overnight via UPS.

I do not know why every single thing has to be so darn difficult, but my gosh, I will climb the ladder until I find the right rung.

2 comments:

Carolina said...

You're just awesome. I wish all kids (bio or adopted) had moms like you, actually caring and fighting for them no matter what. Congratulations for finally getting them.

Montague said...

You go, girl! Laughing with you and applauding for you. Well played! :-D I so love your ferocious mama bear when it is necessary. Congratulations indeed!



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017