Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Friday, October 3, 2014

A Year Ago!

First off, sorry for the long delay in posting anything but we've been moving!  Yes, we finally finally finally found a house large enough for all of us.  The house currently has no internet and very limited cell phone coverage so I have been in serious internet withdrawals.  I MUST have my information at hand or I start bugging out.  I flushed my cell phone down the toilet (yes seriously) in the grocery store and it has steadily quit functioning.  I got a new one yesterday, but couldn't get email set up on it because I had a DROID and now have an iPhone.  Yes, welcome to 2014!  I'm learning how to use Apple!

So...

This time last year we were in Ukraine.  On October 3rd we took the 6 hour fast train to Khmelnytstky from Kyiv.

On October 4th we sat in the orphanage director's office and officially met our boys.  We had hosted D and V twice, but we had never met E.  Oh my goodness... the boys had made us "Welcome to Ukraine Mama & Papa" signs and I was nearly in tears.  These precious boys had waited and waited for us.  E took my hand and lead me out to see his bed.  He passed a lady in the hallways and told her, "Look.  This is my mama and she's pretty!"  E was love at first sight.  He was so easy to love.

What a year we've had since we met them in Ukraine.  These children have been fought for.  Once we fought the mountain of paperwork, fundraising, and travel.  This past year we've fought the battle for appropriate education in school.  I something think people don't understand the depth of our commitment to them.  We didn't travel halfway around the world to make them ours only to give them anything less than the best opportunities.  They've had a crappy life.  A year ago, they didn't belong to anyone.  No one advocated for them.  No one took them to therapy.  No one taught them manners.  No one cared if they didn't bathe and had dirty clothes.  No one cared if they were failing in school or why.


Now they are mine.  The magnitude of that privilege and the depth of that responsibility have never been lost on me.

I may be admired, hated, or feared for advocating for my children.  One thing is for sure though, I will be known for advocating.  

Last year at this time I had no idea what it really meant to be an advocate.  Now I do.  I think this is why some people say that their children teach them more about life than they could ever teach their children.  I've learned more about the true character of people through how they treat my children than I ever thought possible.  I think an opportunity for people to reveal their true character comes about when they come in contact with a child that is a little more difficult to understand than others.

I've grown this past year.  My children have made me stretch out of my comfort zone in so many ways that I do not even know what my comfort zone is anymore.  I have had to do things that were very hard for me to do, but I did them gladly for my children.




   


3 comments:

daniellem02 said...

Wow, I can't imagine moving with 6 kids! I did it with 2 and still can't find half my stuff! Good luck with settling in!

SammE said...

Happy new home! I want to tell you how much I have admired you and your family this last year. Watching your journey to bring your boys home has shown me your love, your strength and your tenacity, and your advocating for them is nothing less than brave. Well done!

Mama Bear said...

Your last paragraph describes how I feel as well. We are right around our 1 year mark, too. Congratulations to you and your family!



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017