Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Monday, August 24, 2015

Getting Started

We are starting to prep for school.  The kids helped me make activity packets today for geometric shapes, sight words, and coins.  I've installed educational games on our computers and we have checked out our limit of library books!

TeachersPayTeachers is an awesome website I found for special education resources.  It has a ton of resources for Dyslexic kids.  Now that I have time to actually focus on how to educate my kids I am finding so many resources immediately available.  Not just resources to help them, but resources for educators to identify and understand their disabilities!   It truly makes me wonder what on earth the staff was doing with my kids last year... But I'm trying to release the angry feelings.  

My efforts were completely wasted trying to work with and educate the school system about what my children needed.  Now that my mind is free to focus only on how to help my kids I feel like we can do this thing.  We might need to fundraise to afford everything we need, but we can do this thing!  






3 comments:

Sabrina Caines said...

All About Reading and All About Spelling have really helped my daughter who is dyslexic.

Speechless said...

We haven't had her evaluation yet, but we're pretty sure my daughter is dyslexic...over the summer, we discovered Orton-Gillingham, and it is a GREAT fit for her. It's multi-sensory, highly structured/systematic, etc. Because tutoring is expensive, and because I can use it in my pubic school position, I went and took the training this summer. It wasn't cheap, and it was time consuming (it's a week long training), but it's supposed to be the "gold standard" for reading disabilities.

Hazel Brown said...

I love your blog!

My absolute favorite resource for homeschooling and/or learning differences is the Well-Trained Mind forum, in particular the Learning Challenges board. The people there have been through IT ALL... they know so much! And they're so friendly. I encourage you to check it out!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/6-the-learning-challenges-board/



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017