Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Sunday, September 27, 2015

"I just want to be like everyone else."

M told me tonight while I was nursing EG, "I wish I was in your belly. Then I wouldn't have cerebral palsy. I just want to be like everyone else. I want to climb trees."

I don't feel like I get a lot of things right with M.  She's complex, acting out behaviors in negative ways sometimes before finally saying anything.  All I could say was "I wish you had been in my belly too.  But, you ARE like everyone else.  Your legs don't work as well but you are like everyone else and if you want to climb trees then go ahead and give it a shot."

I really hope that was the right thing to say.  I honestly have had the same thought many times in the past month about all of my adopted kids.  I wish I could have had them all from the start when they were so tiny and vulnerable.  

2 comments:

KB said...

You are doing such a great job.

My "bonus son" was 11 when he moved in with us (related to my husband, but we didn't know him). I wish he could have a do-over too. They deserved so much more, but at least they are getting everything possible now.

SammE said...

Your answer to M seems perfect to me. She does have limitations, but you've encouraged her to try what she wants to do. And of course you wish she'd been born to you! The boys too. You are doing your best for them now, and that's what counts. It will make huge differences to them, and for them, as it already is. It must be hard to see her upset.



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017