Hoping to someday find M's brother adopted in the U.S. -
Myckola Oleksandrovych Markov - 8/26/2003

Friday, March 4, 2016

Brain Integration for D Part 2

D had his second brain integration therapy session today.  I asked Dr. Federici if he could write a referral for our insurance so we could get this covered under neuro-muscular re-patterning and he sent me a very well written referral letter.  I am hoping that this means we will be able to get reimbursed for this therapy so that we can also have V, E, and M also integrated.

A reader mentioned integrated listening on my last post, and I am actually very aware of what that is.  We did that for a while with M's OT at our therapy center.  We did see some progress, and continued for a while before eventually taking a break from private OT.

Brain Integration Therapy is different in that it takes 8-10 hours total to complete and then its done.  For M it will take 16-20 hours simply because she has a brain injury and that makes it much more difficult.

Our tutor Ms. Helen, has mentioned too many times for me to count that D has a recall issue.  Today we found out that the part of his brain that controls recall was functioning at 20%.  He cannot seem to remember much of anything that he is taught, read, told, or watches.  This is extremely frustrating for both D and the person trying to teach him something.

We also found out that he is very strongly right brained and artistic.  I knew this, but hearing it does definitely confirm that he learns differently.  I am a very strongly left brained person.  Having right brained kids has stretched me in so.many.ways.  I have to research how they learn and lay it all out logically to myself just so I can teach them.  That is how dominant the logic part of my brain is!

Next time the therapist is going to address the emotional areas of his brain.  She said that she can tell he has significant emotional trauma that is definitely impacting his ability to interact and process things.  I am making a list of traumatic things that I know have happened to him.  V and E have told me most of them.  D generally doesn't want to talk about his past much.  I think I've gotten it done tonight, but oh break my heart -- what a sad thing for a mom to write!

Today after his session was over and we were leaving, he said he had to run back in to go to the bathroom.  He came back out and hopped in the van.  As we were driving home, he pulled four scented bars of soap out of his jacket.  He had gone back in and bought 4 scented soaps for me and my mother in law.  He really is SO sweet and despite his difficulty in telling me how he feels, he does show it.  I have my own issues with emotional displays of affection so he awkwardly hands me the soap with a silly grin and I awkwardly accept the soap with a careful smile.  We truly are a match made in dysfunctional heaven.  My therapist would be proud of me for telling him thank you :)  Hah!


3 comments:

Denise said...

I love your blog!! :) We are hosting three sisters from Ukraine this summer and I have been scouring the internet looking for current blogs on adoption from Ukraine. Your family is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your struggles and your joys.

mamaporuski said...

Just getting caught up again on your blog after a while of not reading. So glad to hear of your progress, so sorry the struggles are so very real. Our O has been home 7 years and not one professional has ever wanted to do any sort of brain scan or mapping, and of course we cannot pay for it out of pocket. I am interested in following your brain integration progress. Prayers for continued progress and strength for your journey.

manho valentine said...

I love your blog!! :) We are hosting three sisters from Ukraine this summer and I have been scouring the internet looking for current blogs on adoption from Ukraine. Your family is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your struggles and your joys.



www.golden-slot.com



We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life; but those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny; and placed among us by God's very own hands. --Kristi Larson

 

ALL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. COPYRIGHT 2017